The older I get, the less comfortable I am with putting my true thoughts and feelings about things online, at least in a manner any lengthier or more earnest than a tweet.
I think it’s because if time has taught me one thing, it’s that everything I think and feel will eventually evolve, and sometimes even change completely. There’s no such thing as having a static, comprehensive, fully formed worldview, with exacting ideals and positions on every messy question life has hidden for us.
I find myself increasingly put off by people who have strong, certain opinions on things. Authority is an illusion most of us try to project, or a hard-won mantle reserved for the rarified few who have actually earned it with patience, time and wisdom.
But in the endless static of the Internet, everyone is an expert so long as they voice their opinions loud enough to break through the clutter. I spent years doing this (and even worse, in the ultimately pointless realms of celebrity and popular culture), so I understand why it’s appealing. It’s easy to dismiss, to deconstruct, to find the flaws in everything. It’s difficult to empathize, to understand, and to grant even the most obviously troubled among us some small permission to exist.
I feel gross about always needing to chime in on the frenzied, hyperactive dialogue about what is Good, about who is Bad, about why this Matters when that Doesn’t. Over time, it all ends up sounding so pointless and obvious and stupid.
Anyway, that’s my opinion on opinions. I’m sure I’ll regret this someday, too.
- choxxibee likes this
- themadhatterer likes this
- briannxo likes this
- joshuaejudd likes this
- heyykataay reblogged this from alexblagg
- rosenkreiz likes this
- wishforsomethingbetterinlife likes this
- bahddgurl likes this
- blackbirdandayellowsky reblogged this from alexblagg
- timidlittleblackbird likes this
- earlgreymarmalade reblogged this from alexblagg and added:
- lowindustrial likes this
- clockwork-doorhenge reblogged this from alexblagg and added:
- thisisthatpart reblogged this from alexblagg
- infiltrate-the-ass reblogged this from alexblagg and added:
- outburstsofabeing reblogged this from alexblagg
- alwayshiskat likes this
- kaiters17 likes this
- ezariahd reblogged this from alexblagg
- ezariahd likes this
- austinhostetter reblogged this from alexblagg
- undead4life likes this
- casacomquintal likes this
- desilusao reblogged this from alexblagg
- dayman-fighter-of-the-night-man reblogged this from alexblagg
- sarahb likes this
- fffartonceaweek likes this
- brianunderstands likes this
- hahaben likes this
- hellonewworld said: Or I mean probably, what do I know?
- brooke-mcmaster likes this
- diedrecook reblogged this from alexblagg and added:
- diedrecook likes this
- jeanwildest likes this
- annie-ivory likes this
- mikaelaj143 likes this
- sharingtime likes this
- harpyphoto likes this
- gordonc likes this
- anginanirvana likes this
- ohheybill likes this
- chloesanchez likes this
- jesuisjose likes this
- nickkuyat likes this
- aurora likes this
- lindsayrobertson likes this
- jdiggem likes this
- tuesdayswithigor likes this
- southern-charm540 likes this
- eec likes this